Depression Treatment Center
Reclaiming the right to live life your way
Depression is not simply sadness. It involves profound symptoms that interfere with daily life, causing pain for not just yourself, but those around you as well. Such conditions are characteristic of a loss of interest in life and motivation to pursue relationships and anything that brings happiness. Those struggling with depression are often unable to work or function.
Around 350 million people worldwide are battling depression as they struggle to articulate their symptoms and understand it themselves.
Sovereign Health Group is a residential rehabilitation treatment company for substance abuse, mental health disorders and dual diagnosis. Our expert staff provides our patients with cutting-edge treatment programming and a full continuum of therapeutic care monitored by various licensed health professionals.
Types of depression
- Major depression is characterized by severe symptoms that completely disrupt the basic norms of daily life such as eating and sleeping; this may be a one-time or a recurring situation
- Persistent depressive disorder lasts for at least two years with a fluctuating intensity of symptoms
- Minor depression is of much shorter duration based on a few weeks, but can easily lead to major depression
- Psychotic depression (severe depression characterized by psychosis such as delusions and hallucinations)
- Postpartum depression (experienced by women post birth)
- Seasonal affective disorder (onset of depression in the months of winter)
Symptoms of depression
Depression symptoms vary depending upon the unique circumstances of each patient. However, there are general signs and symptoms which are common to all cases of depression. The most serious indication is the patients’ complete inability to enjoy things that formerly gave them pleasure. Other symptoms include:
- Persistent feelings of sadness, despair, emptiness or anxiety
- Pessimism, irritability and restlessness
- Constant feelings of guilt, lack of worth and helplessness
- Fatigue and low energy
- Disrupted sleep patterns
- Poor concentration and memory
- Suicidal thoughts and possible attempts
- Vague pains that do not respond to treatment
- Weight fluctuation
- Eating too much or too little
Symptoms of depression may be influenced by the patient’s age and gender. Women seem to be more prone to exhibit feelings of low self-worth, sadness and guilt whereas men are more likely to seem fatigued and demonstrate a lack of interest.
Young children can also suffer from depression, displaying feelings of sadness, irritability and hopelessness. On the other hand, teens are more prone to having symptoms such as anxiety, anger and often withdrawal from their friends and activities. In the case of children and teens, depression may further be associated with ADHD and other mental health disorders.
It is often difficult to diagnose depression in older patients because some of their symptoms may accompany other possible illnesses, and they often tend to feel unhappy with life in general and reluctant to try new activities.
Causes of depression
Depression can arise due to one or a combination of various genetic, environmental, biological and psychological causes. There are many reasons for the onset of depression and they include:
- Family history of depression
- Gender (more common in females)
- Childhood trauma
- Traumatic events such as the death of a loved one
- Isolation or loneliness
- Prior history
- Serious or chronic illness
- Substance abuse
- Certain medications such as sleeping pills or beta blockers
Treatment with Sovereign
Accredited by the Joint Commission to treat both mental illness and addiction, Sovereign is proud to provide several outpatient and inpatient treatments for depression and addiction. Our depression treatment center is an excellent residential rehab facility that not only focuses on a thorough diagnosis and treatment for depression, but treats any other underlying disorders as well. In severe cases of depression, inpatient depression treatment centers are probably the best and most helpful option.
If you feel that you or a family member is suffering from depression, the first step is to confirm the diagnosis with your doctor or a therapist. When a medical cause has been ruled out, a psychological evaluation needs to be performed. The psychologist will be looking for co-occurring conditions such as mental health disorders, substance abuse, PTSD or anxiety. Other illnesses may manifest prior to depression, cause it, or be a consequence of it. In any case, co-occurring illnesses need to be diagnosed and treated in order for the patient to make a complete and lasting recovery.
Sovereign Health treats the depression itself plus all underlying and accompanying conditions to ensure a good recovery and improved quality of life. Our state-of-the-art dual diagnosis treatment provides the best possible opportunity for returning to a happy life.
Our treatment usually involves a combination of psychotherapy (cognitive behavioral therapy or interpersonal therapy) and medication. Complementary therapies such as those involving yoga, meditation, acupuncture, nutritional guidance and exercise are also implemented in accordance with individual needs to ensure an all-encompassing approach.
From lacking will to experiencing physical pain, depression can confuse you in several ways as your mind rebels against you. We are here for you to help you regain control of your life and live it doing things that bring you happiness and peace.