How do I know if I need help from mental health professionals?
Mental illness isn’t just “feeling sad sometimes” or getting anxious before an exam. Mental illness is a very real, very biological condition in which the brain is unable to function properly. Healing from mental illness has nothing to do with willpower and everything to do with receiving thorough, compassionate treatment.
Common signs of mental illness include:
- Excessive fears and worries
- Social withdrawal
- Overeating or undereating
- Oversleeping or insomnia
- Difficulties paying attention
- Inability to derive pleasure from hobbies
- Trouble keeping up with daily routines
Mental illness often looks different in different people. There is also no “one size fits all” treatment. Mental health professionals are able to use their expertise to diagnose and treat mental illness while still recognizing that each patient has their own, unique needs.
Signs that you might benefit from mental health professionals include:
- Concern about your health from friends and family members
- Decreased productivity at work or school
- Thoughts of suicide
- Constant aches and pains
- Risky, out-of-character behavior
- Feelings of hopelessness
Remember: Mental illness is a physical illness that — thankfully — can be treated through physical means. The sooner you receive help from a medical professional, the better.
For more information about our clinical team and mental health treatment at Sovereign Health, please contact our 24/7 helpline.