Treating Chronic Pain at Sovereign Health
At Sovereign Health, our chronic pain program provides comprehensive assessment and treatment of the underlying causes of chronic pain. We also treat the many physical and psychosocial effects that chronic pain causes. Patients learn healthy ways to live with pain while the underlying issues are resolved.
Chronic pain can adversely affect every aspect of a patient’s life. Over time, compensatory mechanisms, such as social withdrawal and inactivity, can become persistent behavioral patterns that perpetuate the pain. Physical health may decline, as well as relationships with others. The ability to work may be threatened by the condition. Treating chronic pain is vital but those dealing with the problem should be careful in their approach
Taking opioid painkillers for chronic pain requires higher and higher doses over time until pain relief can no longer safely be obtained. Chemical dependency on opioids also occurs over time. Fortunately, there are alternative ways to treat chronic pain. At Sovereign Health’s chronic pain treatment centers, we help our patients find the pain reduction methods that work best for them.
Evidence-based treatments mark our mental health, addiction and other programs.
All our locations treat addiction and dual diagnosis, while some offer additional specialized programs.
We offer adults and adolescents residential, outpatient and other levels of care.
A multidisciplinary team works together to provide the best care for every diagnosis.
Take a virtual tour of one of our facilities or witness changed lives by watching a patient testimonial.
Chronic Pain Rehabilitation Program
Chronic pain programs work through several phases:
- Comprehensive diagnostic evaluation: A full medical evaluation determines the etiology of pain and any co-occurring disorders.
- Stabilization: Medications such as pain relievers, anticonvulsants, antidepressants and anti-inflammatories can help bring pain under control.
- For those who want to detoxify from opioids or other substances, the pain team has ways to assist in making the detoxification process safe and comfortable.
- Once the pain is under control, and the initial detox phase is over, treatment and therapy begin to resolve the underlying cause of pain.
- Comprehensive psychosocial evaluation: A full evaluation determines the extent to which the chronic pain has impacted the patient’s life and identifies any co-occurring disorders.
- Treatment begins to reinforce strengths, build resilience in areas of weakness and resolve any co-occurring conditions. Healthy lifestyle habits are reinforced.